Georgia Wine Producers is seeking a new Executive Director
A passionate leader and persuasive communicator is sought to guide the Georgia Wine Producers into its next chapter. The Georgia Wine Producers mission is to support the growth of commercial wine production in Georgia through increased public recognition and consumption of Georgia’s wines made with Georgia grown grapes and fruits, resulting in investment, revenue & jobs in Georgia.
GWP is the statewide industry association representing Farm Wineries and vineyards in Georgia. While the association is relatively new, established in 2014, the modern wine industry in Georgia is around 35 years old. The burgeoning Georgia wine industry has grown to more than 80 wineries statewide. This growth has precipitated the need for an organization to represent, support, and lead the industry into the next phase.
About the Position
The Executive Director will provide high profile leadership, vision, and hands-on implementation for the marketing, brand building, public profile, programs and events of GWP. S/he will facilitate and lead member and board efforts to achieve the mission and goals of the Association as approved by the 11 person Board of Directors, and work directly with the constituents of the Association, including the Board, board committees, winery members, associate members, tourism partners, industry and community organizations, media, and the public. The Executive Director has full P&L responsibility for our budget as well as seeking funding through various avenues that will be determined by the Board of Directors. This environment provides tremendous opportunity to set the course and guide the future of the Association. It also demands complete accountability. A strong candidate will thrive in this setting and take ownership of every aspect of our organization.
Does This Describe You?
• A Strategic Visionary – able to dream big and chart a course to get there, excellent judgment and decision-making ability.
• A Tactical Implementer – a self-assured professional with strong project management skills, organized
with excellent attention to detail, an independent and collaborative self-starter able to shift gears and balance competing priorities.
• A Persuasive Communicator - deeply relational and authentic, an influencer and ambassador, relates well to all kinds of people inside and outside the organization, uses diplomacy and tact, able to facilitate and achieve consensus among opposing views, maintains a respected reputation for self and organization, comfortable in the public spotlight, able to make a vision come to life for others.
• A Brand Builder – able to translate a vision into an established brand, using creativity, consistency, tenacity, and commitment, creatively analytical, zealous about metrics, adept with social media.
• Loves Numbers – analytical, inquisitive, not afraid to ask the obvious or obscure questions, energized by goals, budgets, metrics, and data, comfortable targeting funding sources and securing resources.
• Passionate – excited about the opportunity to chart the course of an up and coming wine region, pro-active and energetic with a strong work ethic, willing to break the status quo by thinking in new ways and trying new ideas.
The Executive Director is responsible to the Board of Directors and, along with them, is responsible for the timely and consistent achievement of the Association’s mission and goals.
Planning and Goal Setting
• With the Board President, facilitate the fulfillment of governance functions of the Board of Directors
• Lead the long-range and annual strategic planning and budgeting process and keep the organization on track to meet objectives
• Publish monthly updates via e-newsletter to the membership
Marketing and Public Relations
• Continue to develop the brand direction and marketing strategies, successfully implement marketing plans to achieve objectives
• Oversee all aspects of website, including periodic redesign as needed
• Work to implement and track all social media campaigns
• Manage all Association collateral and marketing assets, including internal and external e-newsletter and selling advertising, design, printing and distribution of a State Winery Map.
• Set and implement goals and media target lists to build awareness of the Georgia wine region with media and journalists
Communication and Relationship Building
• Manage the current membership database and develop and maintain General Membership by recruiting eligible new winery members, communicating with members, encouraging their input and involvement in Association activities
• Manage Associate Membership Program, recruiting new members, fulfilling their benefits and soliciting their participation in Association programs
• Liaise with local cities, tourism organizations, and chambers of commerce, looking for opportunities to collaborate in marketing our region and spreading our message; serve on related tourism boards as outlined by the Board.
• Collaborate with tourism partners/lodging partners to build co-promotional campaigns and acquire additional funding for regional marketing efforts
Accomplish legislative goals set forth by the board through relationship building, communication, and representation at legislative functions.
• Organize and run all aspects of the Association’s major events, currently the Annual Conference, Georgia Wine Highway and future GWP Sanctioned Wine Events.
• Attend roadshows, community events, and wine events to promote GWP wine members and region.
• Organize and execute additional seminars, events, educational opportunities for members and associate members.
• Work with Board, marketing committee, and contractors for overall grant strategy and deliverables
• Manage all contractors, grant deliverables, research for grant writing initiatives.
• Lead efforts to win subsequent grants
The work conditions for this position will include:
• Virtual office; must be able to work independently. Laptop provided. Mobile phone provided.
• Significant local (throughout the wine region) travel during the business day; occasional out-of-the-area and overnight travel is required for roadshows and conferences.
• Advanced computer skills required including Google Business Suite, membership management software, website management.
• No heavy lifting is expected, though lifting of up to a case of wine is required (50 lbs).
• Physically able to participate in tradeshows, presentations, and meetings.
• This is a full-time position and requires frequent early morning, evening and weekend work.
Other duties may be required as assigned by the Board.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Interested candidates should send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 19, 2021.