Free Filtration Seminar for GWP members in good standing. If you are not a member, please join on the "Join us" page for eligibility. If you have already signed up for this event, you will be receiving an email asking about lunch.
Speaker: Maria Peterson/Scott Laboratories
- Grew up in South Africa on the family wine farm where wine filtration was one of many chores as a teenager.
- Graduated with a BSc. Agric. degree specializing in Enology and Viticulture from University of Stellenbosch, South Africa in 2000.
- Made wine and managed vineyards in South Africa, Australia, France, Napa and Montaluce in North GA.
- Landed up working for Scott Laboratories out of California and just celebrated 10 years with them.
- Currently part of the newly minted Beverage Integrity and Filtration department within Scott Labs where the focus is on sustainable filtration and stabilization technologies with applications such as Wine, Cider, Beer, Distilled spirits, RTD cocktails and others.
Presentation Title: Filtration; The good, the bad and the basics.
Am I using the proper filtration equipment and media for my winery?
- Considerations for sizing properly
- Tips for optimization and when to know you’ve maxed out the equipment/media capabilities.
- What to look for when sizing up
Media “DIRT HOLDING” principles and why they matter.
- Surface Filtration
- Depth Filtration
Filtration technologies; their strengths and weaknesses.
- Sheet filters.
- Lenticular Filters
- Cartridge Filters
- Other technologies
- Carbon media considerations
Sterile Filtration Principles and Practices
- The media and equipment
- Preparation, sizing, run times & cleaning and sanitizing.
QC checks before, during and after sterile filtration
- Typical analysis to be done on the wine before packaging, but also after.
- Preparing the equipment and media for bottling.
- Integrity testing of media.
Timing of additions and blending before bottling and how that affects filterability
- Navigating last minute blending changes or additions.
Options for adjusting filterability in-line with bottling (or before the mobile bottler arrives)
- Depth media and equipment options for efficient filterability adjustment.
Bottling day cartridges storage and management
General bottling line sanitation guidelines
- Thoughts on manual fillers and corkers
- Installation of cartridges
- The bottling line blind spot
WATER QUALITY CONSIDERATIONS